Home Business 5 Alternative Building Materials Used in Construction

5 Alternative Building Materials Used in Construction

6 min read
Comments Off on 5 Alternative Building Materials Used in Construction

There is something about a new building that is exciting. There is a sense of wonder and imagination that arises when you begin looking at the materials that will eventually become a real, tangible building, and your mind begins to visualize exactly what kind of architectural dream will come of it.

However, as more and more of these modern dreams begin to spring up everywhere, the reality that most modern building methods are pretty unsustainable due to large amounts of CO2 being produced during the construction and throughout the building’s lifetime.

Luckily, this is an issue that has been on many people’s minds as of late, and therefore has produced quite a few fascinating alternative building materials that everyone should be in the know about. You may find yourself asking exactly what these shiny new building materials are, however. Well, in the words below, you will find five alternate building materials that you should know about.

1. Wool Bricks

Wool bricks are pretty much exactly what they sound like. By adding wool and a natural polymer found in seaweed to the clay of the brick, these neat bricks are about 37% stronger than other bricks, as well as more sustainable and non-toxic, which is always nice. Plus, they are quite resistant to cold, wet climates. Naturally, that won’t matter to everyone, but people who do live in cold, wet climates are sure to appreciate them.

2. Solar Tiles

One of the biggest arguments that you hear against solar panels is how ugly some people find them when they are attached to the roof of a home. That’s quite understandable, but with the introduction of solar tiles, that argument may just be laid to rest, as they look quite nice.

Solar tiles are built into the home and look pretty much like your standard roof tiling, avoiding any unseemly panels hanging from your roof. The added benefit of clean, reliable energy is also a huge advantage, as well.

3. Sustainable Concrete

It is said that 95% of a building’s CO2 emissions are a result of the energy consumed during it’s life. However, the remaining 5% are a result of it’s construction. While 5% may seem like a very small number, it is still worth every effort that can be made to lower the CO2 produced in that construction process. Naturally, concrete is a great place to start in this regard.

Sustainable concrete is made of recycled materials such as crushed glass, wood chips, or even slag, and reusing these materials for concrete is very good for the environment.

4. Paper Insulation

Following the theme of reusing materials, paper insulation recalls materials such as old newspaper and cardboard. Paper insulation takes the place of chemical insulation and creates a pretty solid draft-free space within your walls.

Plus, the materials become fire retardant, as well as insect resistant with the use of various natural, and health safe chemicals.

5. Triple Glazed Windows

As lovely as windows are, they do tend to allow a lot of heat to escape through their transparent glass. However, with these incredibly efficient triple glazed windows, there will be significantly less heat that escapes from your home, keeping it warm and efficient year round. As many of us know, that can surely come in handy during the bitter months of winter!

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Brandon P
Load More In Business
Comments are closed.

Check Out

9 Different Types of Waste and Their Origins

All families produce household waste and, sometimes, are oblivious of the fact that some o…